A Bit More on Darning Socks

(blog by Kim)

It seems that we have a lot more socks that need darning than those that don’t.  Darn the luck!! Anyway, one thing I learned from a friend in Matanzas was that in Cuba it is more common to have a day when socks need darning than when they don’t. He wasn't talking about socks so much as about when things don’t work. Whether it's something in the house or at church, or some form that needs to be turned in to get a permit or permission, or finding transportation to get somewhere, or waiting in line for cooking oil or chicken or laundry soap, the expectation is that things will not work out as you might hope. The norm is to experience frustration or disappointment.  

Recently I sprained my ankle. I was able to go the doctor and was quickly seen with no problem. I also got crutches and a wonderful stability boot so that I could walk around. It all happened in one day. Plus, I had some ibuprofen I could take. I was really tired and discouraged that I had hurt myself,  but in Cuba, well…I think the story would have been different. While health care and good quality medical attention has been a high priority in Cuba, the US embargo means that medicine and medical supplies are not readily available. And now there are delays in appointments and treatments due to COVID19. I thought to myself, “Yes, I feel really tired and discouraged about my situation, but in this context, what do I really have to complain about?”  


So, to keep that awareness clear in my mind and heart, I am trying a few things.  First, be grateful for good care and access to medicine and medical supplies, but couple gratitude with anger at my country for preventing others from having the same good care and access. I don't deserve ibuprofen and a boot and crutches more than people who sprain ankles in Cuba. Second, I have been trying to do things with my non-dominant hand (like brushing my teeth or eating or cooking) as a physical reminder of the daily struggles of our sisters and brothers in Cuba who have no choice but to live a "non-dominant" way of life. Third, let go of a convenience such as a dryer to dry our clothes. Hang them on a clothesline instead. And if it rains, find a place to hang them up inside the house. In Cuba, I witnessed many creative ways to rig up a clothesline in the house. Lastly, when I am having to wait in a line for anything, I want to remember that most Cubans have to wait hours for most everything they eat. I can use the time I'm waiting to pray for people in Cuba who are waiting in line right then, that they can find what they need and get home soon. And I want to pray for change in the relation between our two countries so that these unjust policies can come to an end. As I am in line, getting close to the register, I think I will let a few people go in front of me in line so I can pray an extra two or three minutes. 


There’s this old Baptist hymn called, “Brighten the Corner where you are.” It's popular in Cuba (Brilla en el sitio donde estés).  I made a few changes to the lyrics while we were there during the quarantine, so we could sing "Brilla en la cola donde estés" (Brighten the line where you are). It was fun to sing that with people, and to hear them respond by talking  about how they were finding ways to witness to their faith while waiting in line, finding ways to shine with God’s mercy and love and help brighten the day of folks who are carrying a heavy load.  So, may we all Brighten the Corner or the Line wherever we are. May God shine through us and bring us closer together in understanding, solidarity and prayer.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Articulating Cuban Complaints

Ain't That America

Opinion Piece in the Asheville Citizen-Times